Apply Driving License / Changes or Corrections in Driving License
There are several types of driving licences that you can obtain under over service
- A general driving licence.
- A licence for a motorcycle with gear.
- A licence for a motorcycle without gear.
- A licence for transport and commercial vehicles.
The state of Tamil Nadu issues a variety of licences for those seeking a government issued permit to ply a vehicle on the roads. Licences are broadly classified into Transport and non-transport licences, as mentioned below:
1. Non-transport licences:
Non-transport licences are issued to those individuals who seek a licence for personal use only. Such licences permit the licence holder to ply non-commercial vehicles such as private cars, two wheeler’s, as well as larger vehicles solely for private use.The minimum age requirement for obtaining a Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu is 16 years for two wheelers and 18 years for other vehicles.Under non-transport vehicles, the applicant is required to specify the kind of vehicle he is applying for a licence for. The various categories under non-transport licences are given below:
Motorcycle without Gear- such as scooters and mopeds
Motorcycle with Gear- All motorcycles with gears
Light motor Vehicle- this includes small cars
Motor vehicle- in case your motor vehicle is not covered in the above mentioned categories, you will be required to specify the kind of vehicle it is
2. Transport Licences:
Transport licences authorise the licence holders to ply vehicles on a commercial basis. The following vehicles are categorised under Transport vehicles as per the Tamil Nadu Transport Authority:
- Light motor vehicle (transport) – this includes auto-rickshaws, both for commercial as well as transport use, taxis, jeeps, delivery vans etc.
- Heavy Motor Vehicle- this includes trucks, buses, tractors
- Trailers- can be applied for by those already holding a heavy motor vehicle licence
The driving licence can be applied for after 30 days and before 180 days from the day of issue of the Learner’s Licence.
Documents required for Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu:
- Application form (Form 4), duly filled in and signed
- Proof of address (refer below for documents)
- Proof of age (refer below for documents)
- Citizenship declaration (refer below for documents)
- Learner’s licence (original)
- Passport sized photographs
- Valid vehicle documents
Proof of address documentation:
- Life insurance policy
- Voter’s ID card
- Government issued payslip
- Affidavit sworn before a Judicial or Executive Magistrate or Public Notary
Proof of age documentation:
- School certificate
- Birth certificate
- Affidavit sworn before a Public Notary or Executive Magistrate or Judicial Magistrate
There are no inquiries yet.